Monday, October 09, 2006

For comparison

This is what the artist was working from...(from the Memorial Drive website)




On one hand, I've always thought it would be fun to have a caricature drawn of me, but on the other hand I was pretty sure I didn't want to see what they would emphasize (my large, crooked teeth).

Funny parallel, though. Most of us are probably afraid to know how people really see us and what they really think about us. Do I come across as selfish, arrogant, cocky? Do I appear to people to be narrow-minded, angry, or apathetic? We quickly want to dismiss people that see us that way because surely we are not. We know what goes on in our mind, and are quick to give ourselves the benefit of the doubt. But the truth is we can go to our graves trying to defend ourselves and it won't make a bit of difference. The only thing we can do is change ourselves by the power of Christ at work in us. That can sometimes be a long, painful process, but the results are proven and effective.

2 comments:

Theresa said...

I am certainly terrified to know what people think of me, and yet, at the same time, morbidly curious. That's probably why I'm so introspective, which can quickly become obsession. At which point I'm reminded (1 Corinthians!) that I should be submitting those insecure thoughts to Christ along with all the other ones I like to keep to myself and pretend to hide from our omnipotent, eternally patient God.

I don't know where I was going with that.

Thanks for making me think. :)

Brenda said...

I'm not sure I like to know what people think of me. I guess if I bother them...I'd like to know...but then again, would I change who I am because of what someone else thinks? Probably not unless it was negative behavior on my part. Then I might try to change it.
However, if someone would like to draw a funny picture of me...I think I would take it and laugh. That would be fun!