Thursday, April 19, 2007

April 19

Living in the Tulsa area now, April 19 doesn't have quite the same feel as it had when I lived in Oklahoma City.


My construction job in OKC allowed me to rebuild several of the bomb-damaged buildings. Every person involved had their story - where they were when the bomb went off (many of them in the buildings we were remodeling, right near the Murrah building itself), what they did in the hours and days that followed, and how it affected them in the years that had followed. Stories of things I never want to see or experience.
Similar to the Virginia Tech events of this week.
Tragedy is an unfortunate fact of life on this sin-infested earth. Some are public and involve death and blood and destruction. Others are private, and involve relationships and words and emotions.
I think what is most important is how we respond to it.

1 comment:

Brenda said...

I can't imagine being in OKC when that happened. We too have our stories of where we were when we heard of the tragedy or our neighboring city. I had a friend that lost her father that day and we watched their lives forever change because of senseless acts.

I think there's purpose and meaning in everything on earth that we watch or even endure ourselves. I think the greater thing is that God is preparing us for something amazing. In times of pain and trials, I think he's saying "Look out my children, I'm about to show you something in this"
We may not see it right away. It could take months, days, or years to find out, but He's got such a greater plan for us. Especially when we are going through the pain and trials of life's unexpectedness.
"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose" (Rom. 8:28).