Tuesday, February 26, 2008

OKC and a visit to POPS

After a week cooped up in the house, it was time to get away. We had planned a trip to Oklahoma City for this day a while back. It was a chance to visit with friends we hadn't seen since we left almost 2 years ago. We worshipped at Quail Springs in the morning (where we were members for almost 10 years), ate at Poblano Grill for lunch (an Alice favorite), visited a couple of my old construction projects, went to the Windsong concert in the afternoon (we had 4 friends singing in the choir), stopped by the Memorial Road church in the evening, ate at Mr. Goodcents, and came back home. A full day.

The two old construction projects we visited were the clock tower at Oklahoma Christian's campus, and POPS in Arcadia. They were two of the last projects I worked on at my previous construction job. The clock tower at OC was still in the cost estimating phase when I left. POPS was in the concrete footings stage. I was anxious to see how POPS had turned out.

POPS is a gas station/convenience store/restaurant/landmark on Route 66 in Arcadia, just a few miles east of Edmond/Oklahoma City. Its trademark is a 66' tall sign shaped like a pop bottle, lit by LED's. Inside, you'll find almost 500 different varieties of pop in bottles. If you have a taste for some certain flavor of pop from your childhood or from a foreign country, I'm betting that you can find it here. Of course, you'll also pay $1.99 for a bottle...(hey, it costs money to ship fresh pop up from Mexico!) Alice had a Diet Vernor's Ginger Ale, which she remembered from her days in Michigan. I had a Faygo Root Beer.

I hear that the food is excellent - we'll save that for another day. The wait times to eat can be well over an hour. People come from all over.

If you ever find yourself in the OKC area, you should stop by. It's a pretty unique place.

11 comments:

Brenda said...

Hey! We went to pops just a few months ago. I was FABULOUS! We didn't mean to end up there and we were actually lost and somehow ended up at the most unique place we had ever seen. And yes, if you like pop, this is your dream place. Happy to hear you had a good trip!

Brenda said...

You know....I meant "It" was FABULOUS...not I!!! That was really funny to re-read after I hit publish!

Vanessa said...

Pops is definitely pretty cool! I've yet to eat there either, but I hope to!

Jeanne said...

Van and I have seen it but we haven't eaten there either! Sounds like we need to get a road trip together and have an evening at Pops!!!!!!!


And Brenda, that is just too funny - "I was FABULOUS!" After all, isn't it all about you?????

love ya, Jeanne

John said...

Shane, you need to give me directions to this place so I can go by there while I am in OKC!

Brenda, that is very funny. The sopranos rule the world, right?

Tammy said...

I saw Pop's on TV! Wow that makes you famous, right? But not fabulous...that would be Brenda.

Brenda said...

Okay...this has just gotten WAY too funny!

Shane Coffman said...

Now, Brenda, to truly have been fabulous you needed to have guzzled an entire bottle of fancy pop in one gulp without stopping for air.

So, were you REALLY fabulous?

Brenda said...

Based on that....NO :o(
Guess I'll just have to be fabulous in my own mind!

Mike Morton said...

It was great seeing you guys! Thanks for coming down. Hoping to come up there in a couple of weeks!

M

preacherman said...

Cool.