Thursday, May 08, 2008

On Leadership

I know, I said the next book I would read would be Everything Must Change, and I haven't even finished The Shack yet (oh, I'm in the middle of The Irresistible Revolution as well...), but I've been reading Leading With a Limp over breakfast lately and this quote jumped out at me:

This is the terrible secret about leadership and life: we achieve brokenness by falling off our throne. To be broken is not a choice, it is a gift.

I know some pretty neat people whom I believe are more effective as leaders today than ever before because they have been blessed to fall off their throne, so to speak. To Craig, Rex, and many others, you are inspiring to me because you can now see your brokenness as a something to be used to advance the kingdom rather than as a curse or flaw to be hidden.

You get what Paul wrote to the Corinthians:

Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God. For just as the sufferings of Christ flow over into our lives, so also through Christ our comfort overflows. If we are distressed, it is for your comfort and salvation; if we are comforted, it is for your comfort, which produces in you patient endurance of the same sufferings we suffer.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shane - this is a powerful statement...thanks for posting it. Scripture tells us the way "up" is "down," and that goes so against what society calls us to everyday.

Brenda said...

I think we need to start a Shack discussion group!!! We have so many a church reading it right now!

I like the quote you cited here. But what about the times that others don't fall off...they are pushed off by others who have preconceived intentions and that person in leadership did not fulfill?? Is that the same thing? I see this happen often.
I think at times, that makes them even stronger as what they were doing was to the glory of God but then then someone comes along and doesn't like their glory. Satan perhaps.
Craig is an AMAZING example of one of those fallen that has rose to inspiring others and setting a great example of faith, hope, love, commitment, and his undying loyalty to our Father.
I don't think our flaws in life should be hidden. Being open about our brokenness (whether in leadership or just life circumstances) is such a faith step for ourselves in living the life that God intended we live.
Someone once told me that I had a "damaged" life. And I say "Damaged for the Glory of God!" If God didn't want me to talk about it, then the happenings of my life would never be.

I like the saying that God uses situations to Direct, Inspect, Correct, Protect, and Perfect us.

No matter in what situation, or suffering, God works in us even when we can not comprehend it. It just makes it easier for Him and for us when we just let Him do his work, and put our trust and faith in Him.

Thanks for posting yet another great post! ;o)

Shane Coffman said...

I don't think the circumstances of one falling off their throne is nearly as important as the lessons learned in the falling and the getting back up.

Those lessons are the gift, and they are where leadership is refined and strengthened.

Brenda said...

So true! So true!

preacherman said...

Shane,
Wonderful post brohter.
Keep up the great blogging.

I was wondering if you and your readers would to stop by my blog and pray for a family in extreme need of prays and encouragement.

God bless you brother.
I hope you have a wonderful weekend.
In Him,
Kinneey Mabry
Aka,
Preacherman

preacherman said...

Shane wornderful post brother.
I love reading your blog.
Keep it up!

I was wondering if you and your readers could stop by and encourage a family who needs it. Please leave an encouraging comment and prayer for them. They really need it now more than ever. Please... You and your readers can make a difference in the lives of a family.
In Him,
Kinney Mabry
I hope you have a blessed week in Christ. May all his blessing fall uop on you shane. Your blog is one of my favs.

Hannah said...

Thanks for sharing. I've never read the Shack, but I completely agree. I've experienced the falling and allowinging God to pick you up and strengthen/grow you1st hand. (It's not so easy.) I think everyone has. However, It's good to be reminded...in fact I needed to be reminded, so thanks for the wake up call.