Friday, December 04, 2009

Hunger and Thirst

(I posted this on my church website blog today, but thought I'd share it here, too)

Our Wednesday evening meditation class opened this week by feasting on this truth:

"Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God."

What is it that you hunger and thirst for? What is it that truly satisfies you? Satan fools us into thinking a lot of different things will fill that void in our hearts. I've found that once the newness of a new "toy" wears off, I'm always left wanting more. So it is with anything this world offers. Food doesn't provide true comfort. Relationships will eventually let us down. Stuff wears out and breaks, or just loses its shine.

It sounds quaint, but time and time again Jesus has proven to me that he is bread and water for my soul unlike anything else. When I feast on Him, I am content and calm. When I neglect that relationship, I am dissatisfied and uptight.

Here are some thoughts from the songs we'll sing together this Sunday:

He has filled my life with sunshine...He has made me what I am

You alone I long to worship

Come into my heart, Lord Jesus

Father, I adore You and I lay my life before You

Lord, reign in me, for I am not my own

This is my daily bread: Your very Word spoken to me

As the deer pants for the water, so my soul longs after You

I need You more...more than the air I breathe, more than the next heartbeat

Nothing I desire compares with You

When we seek the Father's heart, we will find such blessed assurance

Bread of life from heaven, lover of my soul

O come thou Dayspring, come and cheer our spirits by Thine advent here

1 comment:

Brenda said...

This was a huge help to me today! Thank You for these mediation thoughts!