Thursday, February 14, 2008

V Day this year

I heard someone mention last week that Cupid is an odd holiday character. Normally we wouldn't be too excited about a toddler pointing a weapon at us.

Valentine's Day is a bit melancholy for me this year. It has nothing to do with my wonderfully sweet wife. But, a year ago today was the memorial service for my dear Aunt Ada, and Feb. 14 in 1984 was also the day of the funeral for my Pa-Pa.

This year I've also been especially reminded of those who don't have a Valentine to share the day with. This comes in many forms, from never having found the right one, to finding yourself emotionally distant from your spouse, to dealing with divorce, to anxiously awaiting your loved one's return from war or business, to facing another day since your loved one has been taken from this life.

Father, please surround those for whom this day is like another punch in the gut. May they find the comfort and love they long for in You, and may those around them today be Your hug and Your encouragement and Your companionship. Remind them that they are never truly alone - that You are there even when their world feels dark and cold.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, that's about the sweetest and most thoughtful valentine post possible.

Vanessa said...

I really enjoy this perspective. Thank you for sharing it.
You're in my thoughts and prayers during this time.

preacherman said...

Great post brother.
I hope you have a blessed week Shane!
You are always in my prayers.
In Him,
Kinney Mabry

Cornelius Crew said...

Your valentine prayer was so needed. We spent a few hours yesterday with my son's kindergarten teacher who's husband died in september. There I was with my husband and 3 precious kids and she was experiencing her first valentine without her valentine. I pray that she felt this prayer on that very hard day.